Head of People Operations & Performance
(London or remote)
To reimagine technology to transform analytical decision-making, helping our customers make smarter decisions faster.
Who we are
The most interesting scaleup you haven’t yet heard of! Our product, Renew, lets users build and iterate complex mathematical models with the small, sparse and fragmented datasets that are used to drive critical decisions in many businesses. Such models are used to help answer questions like:
- What are the chances that SpaceX’s next launch will fail?
- How often will a company like TalkTalk have a cyber data breach?
- What would happen to the property in Silicon Valley if there was an earthquake?
What are the chances of Kanye West cancelling his sell-out tour?
This sort of analysis has recently been neglected in favour of big data/analytics, but we are on a mission to change this. Our product has applications across multiple industries – we are focusing on speciality insurance to start with, but we believe our software has far further reach (including beyond the financial sector).
hx is looking for our first People Operations role! This role's mission is to develop, embed and maintain one of the world's leading systems to help hxers and hx teams continuously level-up their performance, such that:
- Our professional growth is as high as possible
- hx is recognised as having one of the best performance and progression systems of any business, anywhere
This is a proactive, growth-oriented role at hx, with a heavy focus on individual and team success: performance assessment, L&D and career progression (we outsource the more reactive, “traditional” HR aspects of our work to a trusted partner at the moment). The role will initially report into, and work very closely with, Amrit (hx’s CEO and Co-founder).
You will own the implementation of our end-to-end success framework (called the “Success Continuum”), and work with hx’s Executive Team to make it world-class. An off-the-shelf solution won't work for hx - your job is to create what will. In doing so, you'll work across every level and facet of the business, and gain a deep understanding of hx's mission and strategy - there's a lot of building to do, but this role is also highly strategic.
hx's team is our most valuable asset. This is a keystone position at hx, and a tremendous opportunity to build a leading People function in a business that puts its team's growth, success and happiness at the core of its strategy, as we scale from a team of 30 to an upwards of a 100 over the next 24 months.
Note: hx is still a relatively early-stage business, and our culture prizes initiative highly - as such this section is a good indicator of your role, but the list isn’t exhaustive. As long as you are transparent, collaborative, and not political, we will encourage and support you to grow your career as hx grows!
Work with the Talent and Executive Teams to develop (adopting a highly data-driven approach) and implement key success processes, including:
- Design and specification of role descriptions and organisational structures
- Proficiency and Levelling
- Progression plans
- Daily/weekly planning and effort management
- OKRs (in concert with our specialist third-party OKR consultants)
Work with Operations (including TechOps) to analyse and implement systems and tooling to support the above
- Provide support and input into strategic initiatives across hx with respect to People Operations (e.g. international office expansion)
- Research and implement any other relevant and important best practice People Operations processes at hx
We have a lot to do! Getting off to a fast, effective and well-received start will be critical. As a result, we'll set you off on our most urgent projects, meaning that as soon as you are onboarded:
- You'll design and build the company performance and success calendar for hx within 1 month
- You'll take ownership* of our framework for planning and effort management, that sits on top of our OKRs, within 1 month
- You'll do the same for our revamped performance review process and progression planning system within 3 months
- You'll work with our awesome Talent Team to bespoke the hiring process to each function within 6 months
- You'll work with the Executives at hx to formalise our proficiency levels for each function, and use it to support our hiring strategy within 12 months
*Ownership means that you will be responsible for making sure that the process is executed completely and maintained (i.e. regularly improved) to hx standards. It doesn't mean you do everything!
If you're the right fit for this role, you will be able to show clear evidence that you:
Are an enthusiast
This is one of the defining characteristics of all hxers, and permeates work and play for us. We actively seek out lifelong learners who enjoy "levelling-up" as part of their daily life; this means you will be:
- Deeply interested in the start-up and high-growth sector and ecosystem: its quirks, unique characteristics and requirements
- Passionate about the latest in HR, People Operations and Performance, with an emphasis on performance culture and L&D
Want to work in a high-growth business and create the best people function of its kind, anywhere
Working in a high-growth business is very different to life at a big corporate or lifestyle business. We'll want to see that you really understand this, and are excited by the challenge! For this role, this means that you:
- Are a builder: there is no off-the-shelf solution here (in this role, or at hx more broadly!). You will need to combine your existing knowledge with research, deep thinking and experimentation with the CEO and broader team to build it
- Are hands-on and a doer: we run a relatively lean team by choice at hx and expect that this function will scale its capability via automation over adding lots of people. You won't be a cog in the machine; you will be both the engineer and the operator!
- Can bring it home: delivery is paramount at hx. You should be excited at driving complex and challenging projects through to completion, working independently or in a small team
Fit right in with the way hx operates, and will enrich our culture
hxers are creators at heart, but respect the value of a well built, structured, data-led, engineering driven process; we are an engineering and data company! This role is no different, and means you will need to be:
- Unusually proactive
- Highly data-driven and results-oriented
- Excited about using technology and automation to supercharge your work
Our culture and values are incredibly important to us, and we envisage you amplifying them directly through your work. In particular for this role, you:
- Work cross-functionally and collaboratively: hx is structured to maximise working this way, with conscious thinking about the "wiring" between functions. Your work naturally sits at these boundaries - being a team player is an essential skill!
- Can balance advocacy with authority: you will need to work bottom-up and top-down to ensure an appropriate balance of inputs from everyone in hx to your work. Performance and progression are complex subjects, and you will need to combine excellent judgement with approachability and people skills to succeed
You'll also need to be comfortable with our way of working, which is remote-hybrid, international, and service-oriented. We are an enterprise technology firm with a multinational client base - we let flexibility, customer-centricity and doing the right thing guide how and where we work.
Experience and skills
hx is far less interested in counting years over evidence of delivery, and our requirements reflect this. Your most valuable experience by far would come from "being there before", i.e. leading, or playing a pivotal role in, the delivery of a success framework in an early-stage high-growth business.
- Exceptional planning and delivery skills, with a strong bias to action and measurable progress
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal (our culture is increasingly written as we scale)
- Proven ability to design, implement and run processes and "playbooks" from end-to-end
- Basic proficiency with, and enthusiasm for, analysis and interpretation of data (probably using Excel to start with, but then in whatever tooling we implement)
- Confidence engaging with, challenging and marshalling any one within and outside hx, regardless of seniority
- You'll also need to enjoy working and empathise with technical people, such as actuaries and engineers (who make up the most of hx)
What do we offer?
- Competitive salary + very staff-friendly EMI share options
- £5,000 annual learning & development allowance
- 33 days annual leave (inc. public holidays)
- Top-spec equipment (laptop, mechanical keyboards, screens, etc)
- Free & confidential mental health & wellbeing consultations & support
- Regular hackathons, lunch & learns, socials and games nights
- Team breakfasts and lunches, snacks, drinks fridge, fun office at The Ministry
- Annual team trip somewhere warm (as soon as we are allowed to!)
- Huge opportunity for personal development and mastery as we grow together
Ways to join
- The long-term expectation is that this is a permanent position, but we are flexible and open to different ways of beginning our journey together.
- Please apply with cover letter + CV
- Contract work - deliver one or more of the initial deliverables above
Diversity @ hx
We are committed to diversity and equal opportunity. We’re a talented and high-energy, but low-ego and kind team who believes that the more inclusive we are, the better our work and culture is. We are not yet where we want to be in terms of balance, but it is our mission to build a team that represents a variety of backgrounds and perspectives and we are working hard towards that goal.
If you like the sound of this role but you’re not totally sure whether you’re the right fit – please apply anyway and we’ll let you know either way. Remember: you miss every shot you don’t take!
Follow our blog to keep up to date with all things hx!